Every year around this time, I’m overtaken by a huge urge to eat pumpkin. And lots of it. I like roasting pumpkins and eating the warm puree, I like it in muffins, I like it as a snack. I just like it. My dogs are big pumpkin fans, too.
There isn’t much vegan baking that takes place in my kitchen mostly because I like to bake with eggs. They’re a great protein source and help leaven gluten-free baked goods.
I’m pregnant, though, and this momma-to-be can’t taste any batter with raw eggs. After my first batch of pumpkin bread came out of the oven without enough sweetness or spice, I decided the only option was to venture into the land of vegan baking.
The result is, well, incredible. I added a little freshly squeezed orange juice and orange zest to brighten the flavor. It’s the magic ingredient that makes this recipe special.
If you choose, you can use 2 large eggs instead of the flaxseed meal and warm water. The loaf is slightly more domed when baked with eggs, but honestly I prefer the vegan version. Gluten-free foods are delicious!
Other Gluten-Free Fall Quick Bread Recipes:
- Paleo Pumpkin Bread from Elana’s Pantry
- Cranberry Orange Loaf from The Baking Beauties
- Cranberry Walnut Bread from SS&GF
- Pumpkin Pie Bread from Gluten-Free Goddess
Vegan, gluten-free pumpkin bread full of fall flavors. Simple, healthier, and delicious. This loaf would make a perfect hostess gift for the holidays.
- 2 tablespoons flaxmeal seed
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 1/4 cups Basic Flour Blend
- 2 1/2 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 3/4 cup unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon alcohol free liquid vanilla stevia
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a (8 x 4) inch bread pan with coconut oil.
- Combine the flaxseed meal and warm water. Stir well and set aside.
- Whisk together the flour blend, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, salt, and xanthan gum. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the pumpkin puree, coconut palm sugar, orange juice, orange zest, vanilla extract, and vanilla stevia. Mix in the flaxseed mixture then stir in the melted coconut oil.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until combined. The batter will be thick.
- Turn batter into prepared loaf pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake for 45 - 55 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean, rotating 180 degrees halfway through.
- Let cool in the pan on a wire rack.