It’s getting cooler out and I’m starting to think about my favorite fall foods. They seem to include some sort of carbs. I’ve never been able to function well on low carb diets. Instead, I eat healthier carbs.
Not that a white potato is a bad thing once in a while, but my body is happiest when I have slower-digesting and less refined foods with a little more nutrition.
In fact, I think that eating healthier carbs in moderation have been key to my long-term weight loss. My energy is steady and I don’t feel deprived.
Here are some of my favorite ways to upgrade my carbs with recipes, of course!
Instead of white rice, upgrade to healthier…
- Oven Baked Brown Rice
- Quinoa – bring 2 parts chicken stock to a boil; add 1 part liquid; cook until all liquid has been absorbed, about 20 minutes. I like to use chicken or vegetable stock. Or, make it in a rice cooker.
- Quinoa Salad with Raisins, Spinach, & Walnuts from Tasty Eats at Home
- White Bean Gratin
- Curried Rice & Lentils
- For dessert, try Papaya Banana Whole Grain Coconut Rice Cream
Instead of white potatoes, upgrade to healthier…
- Crispy Sweet Potatoes
- Roasted Butternut Squash Dip from She Let Them Eat Cake
- Roasted Winter Vegetables
- Butternut & Sweet Potato Hash from Jenn Cuisine
- Roasted Squash & Apple Bisque from Diet, Dessert, & Dogs
Instead of starchy potato soup, upgrade to…
- Black Bean Chili with Butternut Squash & Swiss Chard
- Black Eyed Pea Soup from Gluten-Free Easily
- Lentil Soup from The Whole Life Nutrition Kitchen
- Winter Squash Soup from Lexie’s Kitchen
- Creamy Tomato Soup from The Leftover Queen
Do you have a favorite healthier carb upgrade? Share it in the comments below – and if it’s on your blog share the link, too!
- Yesterday I had the honor of guest posting at GoDairyFree.org’s Sweet Sundays. I shared my Triple Berry Coconut Cake…grain-free & gluten-free. I’ll be posting there once a month through the end of the year. I’ll keep you updated but stop by anytime. Alisa has created the best dairy-free resource on the internet.
- Have you entered my give-away? One reader will win a copy of Cooking for Isaiah by Silvana Nardone. Contest closes on Friday, October 15th.