When I need a quick and simple gluten-free meal on nights I won’t have time to cook, I open up Stephanie O’Dea’s Make It Fast, Cook It Slow for recipes and inspiration. Yes, I wrote a quick and simple cookbook – and I have some yummy slow cooker recipes in there. But, sometimes I want something new.
I like to make sure that Joe always has dinner even if I’m not going to be home. Yes, sometimes he eats leftovers and I usually have a meal or two in the freezer. When he’s been traveling a lot, though, a hot, home cooked meal is exactly what he wants. The slow cooker lets me make dinner in 10 minutes – but I never tell him that.
This is my take on Stephanie’s recipe. For all of you that love your slow cooker for it’s convenience and the ability to cook from scratch for your family on those busy nights, put this on your to-make list. And don’t tell anyone how quick and simple it is…they’ll never guess.
Have a favorite slow cooker recipe? I’d love to hear about it.
Other gluten-free slow cooker recipes:
- Chicken Posole Stew from SS&GF
- Moroccan Coconut & Chickpea Soup from Gluten-Free Goddess
- Slow Cooker Applesauce from Gluten-Free by Nature
This recipe was inspired by Make It Fast, Cook It Slow by Stephanie O’Dea.
- 1/2 large onion
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (I use organic when I can get them.)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups black beans, drained & rinsed (or 1 can of beans)
- 1 cup of your favorite salsa
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon hot smoked Spanish paprika
- 8 – 12 corn tortillas
- shredded romaine lettuce
- light sour cream or yogurt
- shredded cheese
- diced tomatoes
- grated carrots and radishes
- Use a 4 or 5 quart slow cooker. Slice the onion thinly in moons from end to end. Put the sliced onion in the bottom of the crock.
- If the chicken thighs have lots of fat, cut it of with a sharp chef’s knife. Rub the chicken thighs with salt and pepper then lay them on top of the onions. Put the beans, corn and salsa on top of the chicken, then sprinkle the cumin and paprika across the top. Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 4 – 5 hours, until the chicken shreds easily with a fork.
- To toast the corn tortillas, heat a dry pan over high heat. Toast on each side just until they start to color, about 20 seconds per side. Wrap in foil and put in a 200 degree F oven to keep warm.
- Serve tacos with desired toppings or pile it on top of a plate of shredded romaine lettuce and make a taco salad.