It’s been hectic at our house. Joe is busy as usual. He handles it much better than me. Culinary school is more demanding than I ever imagined. Last week was my first round of mid-terms which nearly killed me. Being a full-time student at 34 is much harder than it was ten years ago. I have a feeling I aced my exams, though. I’ll find out soon enough.
If you didn’t notice I totally missed the mark on Valentine’s Day. I had great recipes planned but not enough time to get them posted. When you see a chocolate dessert pop up, pretend like you don’t know it was really intended to celebrate lovers everywhere.
With all the hustle and bustle, I’ve been making quick meals. Don’t get the idea that I’m cooking regularly. Joe’s had more than his fair share of fend-for-yourself nights lately. When I can get it together, I cook something simple.
I made a big CrockPot full of this tasty Pulled Barbecue Chicken last week. We ate in sandwiches, omelets, and tacos. It’s incredible to throw some ingredients into a pot and have a sugar free, gluten free barbecue chicken sandwich hours later.
The bread is homemade – in my bread maker. I’ve been playing with the recipe for a while.
Saturday night I made Barefoot’s Salmon & Lentils – full of nutrition and takes almost no time at all. Tonight I made a double batch of Shredded Chicken Tortilla Soup. We have enough for two more meals – one for later this week and the rest will go in the freezer.
Enough about how I’m learning to adjust…here’s the good stuff.
This recipe is adapted from Eating Well.
- 1 cup reduced-sodium tomato sauce
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, grated on a microplane
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon smoked Spanish paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried, ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs trimmed of fat
- Stir tomato sauce, onion, garlic, vinegar, agave, tomato paste, paprika, mustard, chili powder, and salt in a 6 quart slow cooker. Add chicken thighs and stir to combine.
- Cook on low for 5 hours or until chicken thighs can be easily shredded with a fork. Transfer chicken to a cutting board and shred. Return to the slow cooker and stir well. Serve as sandwiches, in omelets, in tacos, or any other way that makes you smile.
Winners from the Last Two Weeks
Yes, two weeks of winners.
Congrats to the 3 Pamela’s Products winners:
- Chaya from The Comfy Cook and readers Helen and Nina!
The winner of I Love Dessert but NOT Sugar, Wheat, Milk, Gluten, Corn, Soy, Unhealthy Fat… by Nicolette Dumke:
- Stephanie, a reader!
Discount on Nicolette’s books for my readers:
Nicolette is generously offering my readers a chance to purchase the book for $19.95. You’ll also get a free copy of “How to Cope,” literature about living with food allergies. I Love Dessert will be $22.95 at check out. You’ll get a refund via PayPal once the transaction is complete. If you buy two or more books, you’ll get a 10% discount on the total purchase.
What do you do to stay sane when life moves at the speed of light?