Today is day one of of 12 Days of Christmas Cookies – all gluten-free hosted by Maggie of She Let Them Eat Cake. For the next 11 days, we’ll have a different cookie for you to try at home. And, on the last day Maggie is hosting a linky so you can share your Christmas cookie recipes and she has fantastic prizes – a free ticket worth $350 to The Gluten-Free, Allergy-Free Expo (I’ll be there!) and 4 copies of Enjoy Life’s Cookies for Everyone!.
Tomorrow, December 2nd, stop by Adventures of a Gluten-Free Mom to see what she’s baked up for you.
Kicking it off with FREE baking supplies!
To help kick this exciting event off in a big way we’ve got a give-away from iHerb.com for you – TWO people are going to win $25 worth of product of their choice. You’ll be able to buy everything you need to bake up tons of gluten-free Christmas cookies.
I love iHerb.com not only for their fabulous selection but for their top quality service too. Best of all, you can buy almost everything I used to make these cookies at iHerb.com. I’ve linked directly to the product in my recipe so you can easily find them.
Biscotti is one of my favorite cookies so I was thrilled when my friend, Ann, mentioned that she’d like to see a SS&GF recipe. There’s something alluring about a slightly sweet, crunchy cookies that can be dunked in hot coffee or swirled in melted ice cream. Notice I said slightly sweet – biscotti isn’t a drippy sweet cookie.
The pistacho nuts & dried cranberries say “holiday” loud and clear. I sprinkled the tops of the biscotti with palm sugar before baking them for a little extra holiday pizazz.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/3 cup agave nectar
- 2 1/3 cup Basic Flour Blend
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- pinch of kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup pistachios, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup fruit juice sweetened dried cranberries
- palm sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 325F. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Place melted butter and agave nectar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium for two minutes, until combined and uniform in color. Meanwhile, put the flour, baking powder, xanthan gum, and kosher salt into a mixing bowl and whisk until uniform.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing well between each addition. Add vanilla and mix. Add flour in one addition and stir until almost mixed. Add pistachios and cranberries and stir just until combined.
- Use wet hands to form into two logs, each about 12 inches long and three inches wide. Sprinkle the tops of the logs generously with palm sugar and press lightly into the dough. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes, until the log is set and brown. Remove from oven and let cool for 15 to 20 minutes. Turn the oven down to 300F.
- Slice biscotti into ½ inch pieces with a sharp, serrated knife at a 45 degree angle. Lay flat on the cookie sheet and return to the oven for 12 – 15 minutes until lightly browned. Flip cookies and bake for another 12 – 15 minutes. Biscotti should be firm all over and yield very slightly to gentle pressure in the center. Let cool on a wire rack. Store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
To enter the give-away:
- Leave a comment below. I love hearing from you!
- Keep up with SS&GF via e-mail, RSS, Facebook, and/or Twitter.
- Share this post on FB, Twitter, or your blog.
- Visit iHerb.com and find something you’d love to add to your pantry. Share it here.
- Register on iHerb.com.
Contest rules: Contest will run until December 11th, 2010 at 11:59 pm. Winner must be registered on iHerb.com and will be announced at She Let Them Eat Cake on December 12th. Contest open internationally although international winners (anyone outside of the continental US) must pay their own additional customs taxes, fees and/or duties.