I know I’m cutting it close, but I thought that easy to make, fudgy gluten-free brownies would be perfect for Memorial Day cookouts. I’ve made 4 different batches and this version is definitely our favorite.
When I make brownies, Joe has one consistent complaint – my brownies don’t have that neat crust that brownies made with white sugar have. I used palm sugar for these and though the crust isn’t the same, it’s close. He says that this batch tastes like ‘real brownies.’ They’re moist and fudgy with the perfect balance of sweetness and chocolate.
In the spirit of quick and simple, I used Pamela’s Baking and Pancake Mix. No need to add xanthan gum or baking powder – it’s already in the mix.
If you want to reduce the fat, replace the butter or oil with an equal amount of plain yogurt or unsweetened applesauce. The brownies will be more cake-like but still delicious.
Guest Posts Today…
I Blog Real Food at The Whole Gang
Today I’m guest posting at The Whole Gang, courtesy of the ingenious Diane and her “30 Days to a Food Revolution.” She’s been sharing other bloggers’ views on eating Real Food along with their helpful tips to make changes to your diet.
“Progress, Not Perfection” is my topic – I hope you’ll take a few minutes to stop by and see what I have to say. And, yes, even an occasional brownie has it’s place in a healthier diet.
Village of Moms
I’m also sharing a favorite quick and simple recipe of mine, CrockPot Chicken Posole Stew, at Village of Moms today. Valerie Kite has put together a fabulous ’1 Stop Shop’ where busy moms can find recipes, menu planning, tips on housekeeping, taking care of yourself, and more.
- 1/4 cup (56 g.) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup (50 g.) grapeseed oil
- 3 ounces (86 g.) unsweetened baking chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup (117 g.) palm sugar
- 2 large (105 g.) eggs
- 1 tablespoon (12 g.) vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon instant decaf coffee
- 2/3 cup (61 g.) Pamela’s Baking and Pancake Mix
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Prepare an 8″x8″ pan with oil.
- Put butter, oil, and chopped chocolate in a microwave safe bowl. Heat for 30 seconds and stir. Heat for another 30 seconds and stir until chocolate is melted. Mix together palm sugar, eggs, vanilla, and instant decaf. Once chocolate has cooled slightly, stir egg mix into chocolate. Sift Pamela’s Baking & Pancake Mix on top of chocolate mix. Dump any of the flour mix left in the sifter into the bowl. Fold into chocolate mix. Turn into the prepared pan, spread evenly, and tap a few times on the counter. Bake for 15 – 18 minutes or until brownies are set in the middle. Brownies are fudgier when slightly underbaked.
- Let cool as long as you can – they’re fabulous right out of the oven.
Reduce the fat by replacing the butter or oil with an equal amount of plain yogurt or unsweetened applesauce. The brownies will be more cake-like but will still taste fabulous.