I made these crunchy-on-the-outside, chewy-in-the-middle, gluten-free, refined sugar-free cookies especially for Silvana Nardone’s 2010 Gluten-Free Holiday Cookie Countdown. Stop by Silvana’s and leave a comment because I’m giving away my new book!
As soon as I get the first books hot off the press, I’ll sign one and send it off to the winner.
I’ll also be giving away 3 copies of Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free next week right here for A Gluten-Free Holiday when we share our favorite desserts along with 3 of Stephanie O’Dea’s soon to be released More Make It Fast, Cook It Slow.
More About Silvana’s 2010 Gluten-Free Holiday Cookie Countdown
- Jill Brack’s Farmer’s Market GF DF Ginger Molasses Cookies (GLOW Gluten-Free Cookies)
- Karen Morgan’s Lemon Rosemary Buttermilk Cookies (Blackbird Bakery)
- Carol Fenster’s Ginger Molasses Cookies
- Dorie Greenspan’s GF DF Honey Spiced Madelines
Get Silvana’s complete Cookie Countdown Calendar & keep up with the fun!
Now, hop on over to her place, leave a comment, and get some fabulous cookie recipes – totally gluten-free!
Other Holiday Happenings…
- Win on of 12 gluten-free cookbooks at A Gluten-Free Holiday hosted by Ginger Lemon Girl, including books from Elana’s Pantry, Diane Eblin, Lori Karavolis, and Silvana Nardone.
- It’s Day 10 of 12 Days of Gluten-Free Christmas Cookies! Today Kim from Cook IT Allergy Free has Cinnamon Icebox Shortbread Cookies. You’ve gotta’ check these out!
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup non-hydrogenated shortening
- 1 cup palm sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 3/4 cup millet flour
- 3/4 cup garbanzo-fava bean flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup fruit-juice sweetened dried cranberries, chopped
- 3/4 cup toasted walnuts, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.
- Fit a stand mixer with the paddle attachment and beat the butter and shortening on medium high until light and fluffy. Add the palm sugar in three additions, letting it mix in before adding more. Beat for 5 more minutes, or until light and fluffy. Palm sugar won’t fully dissolve like white sugar does. Add the egg and beat until fully mixed in, then add the orange juice and zest.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the millet flour, garbanzo-fava bean flour, tapioca starch, baking powder, xanthan gum, and salt until uniform. Add the flour to the wet ingredients in one addition, with mixer on stir, until nearly combined. Add cranberries and walnuts and mix just until they’re worked into the dough.
- Using a standard cookie scoop, place the dough on the cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. Roll into balls with wet hands, then use a flat bottomed glass to press the cookies ¼ inch flat. (This gluten-free dough is sticky, so if it sticks to the glass, lightly wet the bottom.) Sprinkle the tops of the cookies lightly with palm sugar. Bake for 8 – 10 minutes, rotating 180 degrees halfway through, until edges are just beginning to get golden brown.
- Let the cookies cool on a baking sheet for 5 minutes then transfer them to a paper towel lined wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.