If there is one dish I couldn’t live without, this cottage cheese and fruit with spinach would be it. This is my old stand-by breakfast, lunch, or snack. It’s naturally sugar and gluten-free. I never get tired of eating this salad. When I take it for lunch, someone always comments at how good it looks, and then when they see the cottage cheese they scrunch up their nose. Honestly, I am not a fan of plain cottage cheese. When it’s mixed with fruit, nuts, and Stevia, though, it is a nutritious, satisfying quick meal.
You can use any kind of lettuce, fruit, or nuts. My favorite fruits to use are apples, pears, strawberries, red grapes, or strawberries. I happen to love spinach not only for the taste and texture but for its iron and vitamin content. One serving of spinach has 70% of our daily vitamin A requirement, 25% of our daily Vitamin C requirement, 6% of our daily Calcium requirement, and 20% of our daily Iron requirement. With only 40 calories for 1 ½ cups, it’s a nutrient packed veggie I don’t want to live without. (Nutrient info conveniently from the back of my spinach bag.)
For more great recipes using spinach check out the Friday Foodie Fix at The W.H.O.L.E Gang! Thanks, Diance, for hosting!
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- 1 – 1 ½ cups chopped fruit
- 1/2 cup 2% cottage cheese
- 1/2 packet of Stevia or sweetener of choice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped nuts
- Place chopped spinach in a single serving salad bowl.
- Place chopped fruit on top of spinach, followed by cottage cheese.
- Sweeten by sprinkling Stevia on top of cottage cheese. Sprinkle cinnamon on top, followed by chopped nuts.