I wanted to give you a quick and simple no-bake healthier gluten-free dessert for all of you that are not quite up to baking or just need something easy and utterly delicious for Thanksgiving.
Yes, it’s right under the wire. Pots de creme are so simple, though, that you can put it together in 10 minutes. With only 7 ingredients, you might even have all of them on hand.
I know that they’re not pumpkin. Though I adore pumpkin pie, not everyone does. This is an easy alternative in case someone at your holiday table has pumpkin on their yuck list.
And it’s so good that it’ll make you a little weak in the knees.
Of course I did this my way – traditionally pots de creme (don’t you just love how that sounds when you say it?) uses all heavy cream or part heavy cream part half & half. I lightened this recipe up using part 1% milk, cocoa powder instead of chocolate, and reduced the sweetener.
My healthier chocolate pots de creme are still decadent and oh so smooth. Letting the rich, chocolate creme chill in individual ramekins makes for a stunning presentation as well.
I’m wishing you and your family a very happy holiday full of love. For those of you traveling, be safe. And to all of you, know that you’re on my Turkey Day Gratitude List.
On Friday I have my favorite juice to share with you using some of my favorite juicing veggies. I’m looking forward to hearing about your Thanksgiving, too.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup 1% milk
- 1/2 cup Dutch processed cocoa powder
- 6 tablespoons palm sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon instant decaf coffee granules
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 teaspoon alcohol free vanilla
- Combine the heavy cream and milk in a medium saucepan and heat over medium heat. Once the milk begins to warm up, whisk in the cocoa powder. Add the palm sugar and coffee granules. Bring to a boil. Once milk boils, remove from heat.
- Place the egg yolks in a medium heat proof bowl. Slowly whisk a little of the hot milk mixture into the egg yolks. Gradually add the remaining hot milk to the egg yolk, whisking constantly. Stir in vanilla.
- Divide chocolate pots de creme between 4 – 6 ramekins, depending on the size of the ramekins, cover and chill for at least 6 hours or overnight. Serve cold.