This was my very first gluten free, sugar free baking success. Everyone loves these cupcakes so I decided that they needed to be part of the baking class I taught on Monday night. The class was entitled “Healthier Baking – Gluten and Sugar Free” which prompted me to do a slight makeover on one of my favorite recipes.
The original recipe used a starch heavy baking mix. If you’ve been reading my series about Choosing & Understanding Gluten Free Flours, then you know that my view on flours has changed. Whole grain gluten free flours have become my favorites.
Though the change was simple I wanted to share it especially for those who are newer to gluten free baking. Flours can easily be swapped out to increase nutrition. It works most of the time for me.
Like I said – it was so simple. The original recipe called for 3/4 cup of my basic flour blend – which is a combination of sorghum, sweet rice flour, tapioca starch, and cornstarch.
I used mostly sorghum flour with just two tablespoons of tapioca starch. They were just as light and delicious as they were with the starch heavy blend.
By the way…
My class actually sold out. An extra student showed up before class and asked if she could take it, too. Of course, I was thrilled. And a little shocked.
We also made Almond Butter & Jelly Cookies and Chocolate Walnut Flourless Brownies. (I made the brownies healthier too…maybe I’ll post the update soon.) All three were a hit and we had a great time. The class had an incredible mix of people, all with their own dietary challenges. I learned more than anyone else.
- 1/2 cup light agave nectar
- 1/3 cup grapeseed oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sorghum flour
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cup grated carrots
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Oil or line a standard muffin with cupcake papers.
- Grate carrots on the large holes on a box grater or food processor. Set aside.
- Whisk agave, grapeseed oil, orange juice, vanilla and eggs together in a large bowl until mixed well. In a separate bowl, whisk together sorghum flour, tapioca starch, baking powder, baking soda, allspice, and salt.
- Dump entire contents of dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Mix until just combined. Do not over mix. Fold in carrots and pecans.
- Spoon even amounts into cupcake tins. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove cupcakes from baking tins immediately or the bottoms will become soggy.