I decided that it’s time to post another smoothie recipe given that the ingredients are mostly seasonal.
I usually toss whatever I have on hand into my VitaMix, whirl it up, and gulp. Recently, though, I happened upon a mix that was perfectly refreshing for the hot summer days we’ve been having in Texas.
The sweetness of your berries will determine the overall sweetness of this smoothie. It’s on the tart side so if you want a sweeter Berry Lemonade, add powdered stevia to taste. Use a light hand because a little goes a very long way. I’ve tried alcohol-free liquid stevia but when whirled in my VitaMix it gives off a boozy taste.
The cool, crisp flavors of cucumber and celery have long been a favorite for summer juices so I thew them in to the mix. Some days I add romaine lettuce, other days I add green or red leaf lettuce. It all depends on what’s in my refrigerator’s veggie drawer. I’ve found that spinach creates the most neutral tasting smoothie, though, which is why it’s in the ingredient list.
Try a few leaves of fresh basil or mint to change the flavor. We have an abundance of both right now so I’ve been adding them to everything.
If you don’t have any flax or chia seeds, pick some up. They keep my smoothies from separating into water and green fiber and they’re a fabulous source of omega-3 fatty acids, something we don’t seem to get enough of.
What have you been throwing into your smoothies lately?
- 1/2 cup organic blueberries
- 4 medium to large organic strawberries, stemmed
- 1 1/2 inch of cucumber, peeled and cut in half
- 1 stalk of organic celery, cut into several pieces
- 1 big handful of organic spinach
- a small slice of lemon
- 1 teaspoon chia or flax seeds
- powdered stevia to taste (optional)
- 1 cup of cold water
- 1/2 cup ice cubes
- Put all ingredients in your VitaMix or blender in the order listed. Secure lid lightly, start on low and increase slowly to medium-high. Once the ingredients on the bottom are liquified, flip your VitaMix or blender to the highest speed and blend for 30 seconds to 1 minute, until desired consistency is reached. Use VitaMix tamper as needed or stop your blender and manually stir if necessary. Taste and add more stevia if desired.