Naturally gluten-free and refined sugar-free. No preservatives or additives. Just plain healthy. It doesn’t get much better than this.
Do you ever walk through the dried fruit aisle or the bulk bins reading the ingredients? So much of the dried fruit is covered in sugar and sometimes oil. It makes certain foods on the ‘no-no’ list for me – trail mix, most dried fruit, and ingredients for some cookie recipes.
I don’t know about you, but I’ve never been good with limits. When there’s a will, there’s a way.
Enter my Excalibur Food Dehydrator. Joe bought it for me for our anniversary last year. He would have rather bought me jewelery or taken me on a trip. I wanted an Excalibur. What can I say?
I’ve been having all kinds of fun with it. I make yogurt, fruit roll ups, and my favorite – banana chips.
They’re so incredibly simple (who needs complicated??) and they’re so much better than anything you can buy at the store (of course!).
The banana chips I remember from way-back-when were sweet and really crunchy. My banana chips are still sweet and slightly crunchy but they’re almost taffy-like. They melt in mouth. An all-natural, good-for-you candy.
I have to admit that I’m most excited about using my Excalibur Food Dehydrator when the baby gets a little older. It’s a little ways off since I’m still pregnant but it feels good to know I can give our baby healthy treats that taste better than store bought ones.
Other Gluten-Free Banana Recipes:
- Banana Carob Snack Cake from SS&GF
- Vegan Chocolate Banana Scones from Family Fresh Cooking
- Banana Bread (dairy-Free) from Book of Yum
- Baked Bananas & Banana Cobbler from The Gluten-Free Homemaker
Make your own healthy banana chips at home – it’s like all-natural, good-for-you candy! Naturally gluten-free, refined sugar-free, dairy-free.
- Bananas, ripe, but not over-ripe; at least 4
- Slice the bananas thin and even width.
- Lay each slice flat on the food dehydrator tray.
- Set temperature to 135 degrees F (the fruit setting) and dehydrate for 12 – 14 hours, until banana chips reach desired crispness.
- Store in an airtight container.
The dehydrator can be set to the raw food setting; banana chips will have to be dehydrated for a longer period of time.